some dreams live on in time forever
those dreams,you want with all your heart
and i will do whatever it takes
follow through with the promise i made
put it all on the line
what i hoped for at last would be mine
if i could reach,higher
just for one moment touch the sky
from that one moment in my life
i am gonna be stronger
know that i have tried my very best
i would put my spirit to the test
if i could reach
some days are meant to be remembered
those days we rise above the stars
so i will go the distance this time
seeing more the higher i climb
that the more i believe
all the more that this dream would be mine
"reach" by gloria estefan & diane warren
hitting the highnotes
a simple girl in a big big world
Seldom,very seldom does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised,or a little mistaken.
- Jane Austen, Emma
Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
sounding the rhythmof life
Saturday, January 08, 2005
It was pretty much the bed,couch and telly for company today. Got to cancel my appointments for the day as I wasn’t feeling very well.
And like this,I completed my home run of Sex and the City.
Yes,I may be a media student but I’m definitely not immune to media effects. After watching six seasons of SATC in a month, I am aware of how hooked I am to the show. Allow me to rave a little about it here.
What’s with all the hype about the show, you may ask. Well,I don’t really see any particular reason for it,unless you are watching it for the sex,which is really not all that hot and explicit. I can’t imagine how HBO’s edited cut looks like >.<” Oh oh! But for the ladies, there’s always the Manolo Blahniks and beautiful dresses to look out for heh :p
I think the addiction is more about going through New York life with four fabulous women,getting caught up in a way of life that is cool,wild,almost decadent. You witness how the four protagonists get older and wiser with each season and you start to treat them as your friends whom you walk through many relationships with. And sorry to spoil the fun but it is a happy ending to the series.
Perhaps it is just the way women are able to relate to the show. The relationship problems portrayed transcend all boundaries of age, race or religion. I also can’t help but feel there seems to be a bit of a Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda or Samantha in all of us that’s waiting to be discovered. So in a way,every girl should watch the series. As for guys who feel women are unfathomable creatures,maybe they can learn a thing or two from the show too.
I recall the Straits Times referring to the storyline of the series as “four desperate women in their 30s looking for love”. Well,if such a synopsis can still end up having a happy ending,does it spell optimism for all the lonely souls out there? Is it another happily ever after dream then? Does it mean to say that cynics like myself will be converted and turn all gaga over love?
Nay,perhaps drama will still be drama at the end of the day.