some dreams live on in time forever
those dreams,you want with all your heart
and i will do whatever it takes
follow through with the promise i made
put it all on the line
what i hoped for at last would be mine
if i could reach,higher
just for one moment touch the sky
from that one moment in my life
i am gonna be stronger
know that i have tried my very best
i would put my spirit to the test
if i could reach
some days are meant to be remembered
those days we rise above the stars
so i will go the distance this time
seeing more the higher i climb
that the more i believe
all the more that this dream would be mine
"reach" by gloria estefan & diane warren
hitting the highnotes
a simple girl in a big big world
Seldom,very seldom does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised,or a little mistaken.
- Jane Austen, Emma
Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
sounding the rhythmof life
Tuesday, February 15, 2005
It’s about 1am in the morning. Back not too long ago after a long day. Not here to talk about how I survived another V-day haha though of course I did enjoy myself :)
I’m here because I’m touched.
Simply touched after witnessing what many people probably call true love.
Okay,go ahead and mock at me cuz it took place on the silver screen. But hey,sorry to say this but I don’t see it around me :p Seeing couples come together and break apart. Hearing of unrequited feelings, unfaithfulness, missed opportunities…It does not take much more to make one a cynic.
To some extent, A Moment to Remember is quite an apt show to watch on Valentine's Day. If nothing else, at least it makes you believe once again in the thing called l-o-v-e. Since it’s coming from someone who does not exactly subscribe to the whole love affair package,yes,you can believe the show is good haha.
The Koreans probably produce some of the best romance films around. What do I love about them? Dialogue that are simple yet sincere in a way that touches you and doesn’t come out sounding corny. Serious and good solid acting from actors that really reflect their professionalism. Coupled with captivating visuals like clouds racing across the blue skies,green fields that roll endlessly,flowers that bloom incessantly and breathtaking views from mountain heights…lovely. While the formula to produce a romance movie does not deviate much from the old tried and tested ones,it isn’t easy to do it well. Well enough to leave you savoring the details of the show after you have left the cinema.
The plot for The Moment is very much like one of my favourite novels,The Notebook. I cannot compare it with the movie version of The Notebook since I refused to watch it lest it will not live up to the high expectations I have of it. The Moment did well though. It talks about the same spirit of love - love that is giving, love that endures, love that transcends material boundaries. Okay,i guess you gotta watch to understand what i'm blabbering at this hour of the night.
In the show,the female lead mentioned that when your memory disappears, the soul disappears along with it. Huh. I’m not too sure of that since I’ve always thought of them as two separate entities. Just like how I would think of the heart as being separated from the mind. Well, of course I have many memories of my own. Though some are increasingly getting blurred with time. There are times when I desperately try to recall something; times when déjà vu hits me like a wave from behind. They make me thankful for the photographs that we have taken together, the letters we have once exchanged, the journals I have kept…ultimately when all things turn to dust, they leave me thankful that at least our paths have once crossed each other’s.
Besides love, A Moment has the theme of forgiveness interspersed within it too. It tells you that in the house you build within your heart,let hate occupy only a small room. I believe our memories are not only made up of beautiful ones. There are those memories caused by hurt that we prefer to stash away and not touch them again. I have come to feel that the extent to which such memories hurt are often equivalent to the extent you have once loved. Forgiving and forgetting are two different matters altogether. In an article in this month’s Shape,a psychology professor stated that forgiving others involves remembering the event without feeling angry about it but not necessarily forgetting the event that upset you. So yes,certain memories are here to stay but we can let go of the unhappiness and feelings of bitterness towards that person if we try.
After watching the film,l learnt it's maybe time to treasure my memories more and not to take them for granted.
i agree about being able to let go of the bitterness/unhappiness/negativity that comes with hurt. but how does one reconcile the resolution of hatred/bitterness with the beginning of fear of getting hurt again?