some dreams live on in time forever
those dreams,you want with all your heart
and i will do whatever it takes
follow through with the promise i made
put it all on the line
what i hoped for at last would be mine
if i could reach,higher
just for one moment touch the sky
from that one moment in my life
i am gonna be stronger
know that i have tried my very best
i would put my spirit to the test
if i could reach
some days are meant to be remembered
those days we rise above the stars
so i will go the distance this time
seeing more the higher i climb
that the more i believe
all the more that this dream would be mine
"reach" by gloria estefan & diane warren
hitting the highnotes
a simple girl in a big big world
Seldom,very seldom does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised,or a little mistaken.
- Jane Austen, Emma
Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
sounding the rhythmof life
Saturday, February 05, 2005
I don’t say I understand, I don’t say I know. Because I don’t. There are a lot of life experiences that I haven’t gone through. Maybe I’m like the little frog sitting at the bottom of the well, staring out as the world outside changes without me being part of it.
As much as I would like to, maybe I can’t fit into your shoes. But even though I can’t fill those shoes, I may see something wrong with them that you may not see. In that case should I voice out or should I just keep quiet? I may be wrong. I prefer to be wrong and have you telling me I don’t understand. But I don’t want to be a bystander. Because it is not the shoes that I care about. It is the pair of feet that resides in them. It’s your feet my dear friend. Knowing your nature but seeing your feet stuck in those shoes, I don’t want to see them blistered, sore and battered at the end of the day. I want them to be fine and in good shape as we walk life’s road ahead of us together.
How many bystanders do you have in your life? They are people who are involved in your life somehow but yet they don’t seem to be present. Would you agree that a friend in need is a friend indeed? After asking some friends for help with my research project, I received several heartwarming responses. Zhiyun gathered some NUS friends to help me as interviewers, even Dianah whom I do not know too well, helped me found a friend to translate my questionnaire into Malay. Sometimes it is not the big things that matter, it is the small actions that count. How far would you go for a friend? Would you go the extra mile?
That’s not to say I’m blaming people who can’t help out here. This kind of thing can’t be forced. In fact the meaning gets lost if it is forced. I am not so naïve to think that friends are bounded to each other by duty. And of course I am not so petty as to dismiss people from my list of friends just because they can’t help >.<"
In any relationship, how much you give won’t be the same as the amount you get back. You can give a lot of yourself in a relationship but the person may not reciprocate in kind even if he knows how you feel about it. You may be generous in many other ways but are you scrimping on your feelings? Have you hurt someone before? Did you bother to sooth the pain? Oh well, it hurts, some especially hard. But as time passes, it matters no more. You just learn not to give so much of yourself in future.
People often say friends are like stars, you can't always see them but you know they are there. But do you know that if you stand at the bottom of the well, you can see stars even in the day?
Maybe that's why the little frog likes to stay there. So that he can embrace all the friends in his world......