some dreams live on in time forever
those dreams,you want with all your heart
and i will do whatever it takes
follow through with the promise i made
put it all on the line
what i hoped for at last would be mine
if i could reach,higher
just for one moment touch the sky
from that one moment in my life
i am gonna be stronger
know that i have tried my very best
i would put my spirit to the test
if i could reach
some days are meant to be remembered
those days we rise above the stars
so i will go the distance this time
seeing more the higher i climb
that the more i believe
all the more that this dream would be mine
"reach" by gloria estefan & diane warren
hitting the highnotes
a simple girl in a big big world
Seldom,very seldom does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised,or a little mistaken.
- Jane Austen, Emma
Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
sounding the rhythmof life
Tuesday, July 05, 2005
My good deed for the day.
Tadaa! Going down to office to help Siqin get his Tsai Chin concert tics!
Was quite surprised when Siqin asked me to help him purchase the tics. Conversation went something like this:
SQ: You still working at Sph rite, got staff benefits anot? Me: Nope,not working there anymore. Err,what benefits do I need anyway?
At this point I was thinking medical benefits, gym benefits?
But who knows... ...
SQ: Watch Tsai Chin concert got 20% discount leh. Can help me buy tics? Me: ???? Har,you like Tsai Chin??!!!!
Wahahaha!! I nearly dropped my phone manz. Turned out it’s meant for his dad as a Father’s Day pressie. People being a filial son and all,so since it’s within my means,of course I said I’ll try to help him lah.
So thanks to dear kind cum ever-so-helpful Les,we’ve got the tics!
I kinda thought the whole process was actually quite amazing. Like Siqin and Les don’t know each other but somehow because of this, two persons become sort of indirectly connected. Okay,so the two guys have not met cuz I was the intermediary but they know of each other’s existence now. Hmmm,what am I saying? You catch the drift right? ;)
Then of course, there’s also Siqin’s approach that I must mention. Actually we are pretty much just ol’ classmates, maybe not even considered friends since we barely talk to each other. But hey, that didn’t stop him from taking the initiative to ask for help. Somehow in our society, many of us have the ‘paiseh’ mentality. Like if you don’t know this other person well, you would think he/she wouldn’t help you so you don’t even bother to try asking. But if you don’t ask, you wouldn’t know what you would get right? So I do think like all other useful skills, asking for help is a skill that we should learn to pick up.
Of course, we must admit that on the other hand, there are many people out there who probably hate being asked a favor of. Their first instinct would be to reject with some excuse because in their minds they have already calculated what the hassle would amount to. So cost-benefit analysis would stop them from rendering a helping hand. It’s sad but true all the same. When oh when will we learn to be more gracious people?
We live in an interdependent world, where each of us can only do so much. But once our strengths combine, greater things can be achieved. So if everyone helps to some extent (like me helping Siqin and Les helping me), I think the world will become a much nicer place to live in. Don’t you agree? :)
****************** On a separate note:
With the IOC bid going on here,Singapore is trying so hard to tell the world to look at her. Perhaps it's because we've treated it as the next best thing to the Olympics that could take place here. Aiyoh,my heart goes out to all that effort. But is anyone really looking????I hope so.