some dreams live on in time forever
those dreams,you want with all your heart
and i will do whatever it takes
follow through with the promise i made
put it all on the line
what i hoped for at last would be mine
if i could reach,higher
just for one moment touch the sky
from that one moment in my life
i am gonna be stronger
know that i have tried my very best
i would put my spirit to the test
if i could reach
some days are meant to be remembered
those days we rise above the stars
so i will go the distance this time
seeing more the higher i climb
that the more i believe
all the more that this dream would be mine
"reach" by gloria estefan & diane warren
hitting the highnotes
a simple girl in a big big world
Seldom,very seldom does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised,or a little mistaken.
- Jane Austen, Emma
Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
sounding the rhythmof life
Wednesday, July 20, 2005
It came to my attention how some of us tend to use adjectives and superlatives when we refer to people around us.
My better half. My best friend. My most hated enemy.
Maybe we’ve become accustomed to doing so without stopping to think about it.
Is it so simple as plain serving as a description? Or could there be more beneath the surface?
It’s scary to think that if you have a best, presumably first place, this would also mean someone is at the 100th place or 1000th place in your heart.
So I ask,why is there a need to quantify someone? Is it necessary to give a status acknowledgment to a person? Or in reality, is it really to convince yourself that in this world when no one is truly indispensable, you are not actually a lonely soul but you have a designated someone out there for you?
To complicate matters,how does one take first place then? Do we have to value-add ourselves to make ourselves count more in somebody’s eyes? Does it spell greater responsibility to that person then? Can someone stay tops forever? Is there no room for equal status in the arena of relationships out there?
Guess there is a lot of truth in saying that all types of relationships should be handled like that of a kite. To know when to pull back and when to release the pressure. Gone are the days when I used to place emphasis on a one-to-one relationship. A time when two’s company, three’s a crowd. When there can only be one sole existence in any friendship. Those were the times when perhaps the kite-flying principle evaded me. Yet several instances have demystified what I was not able to see, something I ought to say today that I’m glad for. For greater things do reside beyond the company of two. And from there you simply move on. To learnt to let individuality and independence thrive. To grow in greater acceptance and to appreciate the goodness of touching with more souls. You'll see everyone has a special something to offer.
Somehow it appears that the more you give of yourself to various people, the less you are inclined to think who should get more,who gets less. Until one day it makes no difference anymore. Regardless of who the other party is, you can’t help but fork out similar amounts of love and care. It may be hard to understand but it's almost like that of a doctor not selecting his patients to treat. To look not at the person but within yourself.
If I don’t give you a title, figures or words, does that mean you can’t tell how much you mean to me? I hope you can. For I always save a unique place for you in my heart. Even if one day you should choose to vacate the spot, it doesn’t mean someone else will automatically take over your place. Perhaps it is just that feeling. After all we’ve been through, you either know it or you don’t. If you don’t, no matter how I spell it out, I feel it would just come to mean nothing.
Should there be ranks in your heart then,where would I be?
Maybe right at the bottom or somewhere in-between. But even as I may be slipping into oblivion, I tell myself maybe I should be grateful for the time when I was once somewhere further up there.
And you know what, it’s all right. Because on our own,I believe we can each find a greater height to scale.