some dreams live on in time forever
those dreams,you want with all your heart
and i will do whatever it takes
follow through with the promise i made
put it all on the line
what i hoped for at last would be mine
if i could reach,higher
just for one moment touch the sky
from that one moment in my life
i am gonna be stronger
know that i have tried my very best
i would put my spirit to the test
if i could reach
some days are meant to be remembered
those days we rise above the stars
so i will go the distance this time
seeing more the higher i climb
that the more i believe
all the more that this dream would be mine
"reach" by gloria estefan & diane warren
hitting the highnotes
a simple girl in a big big world
Seldom,very seldom does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised,or a little mistaken.
- Jane Austen, Emma
Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
sounding the rhythmof life
Thursday, June 29, 2006
Waimeng and I were invited to dinner with Suilong and his two Taiwanese friends who were in town yesterday night. It was sort of a farewell meal for Suilong before he leaves for Taiwan. As it was in the CBD area, Waimeng the food guru suggested we dine at Noble House, which is a really pretty place!
Will recommend the place too. It serves Cantonese cuisine by TungLok. The ala carte buffet dinner is priced pretty reasonably, you get servings of sharks fin and Peking duck too. The venison was also really good, one of my fave dishes. Waimeng said the salmon sashimi was only so-so since I didn’t try it haha. But the best part has to be the dessert. The gui1 ling2 gao1 as well as the mango pudding were so good. Yums. :)
Suilong’s friends were also very nice folks,they have known each other when they were in Jakarta doing business many years back. They had so many interesting anecdotes to share,I actually learnt a lot in the time span of one dinner. If there’s something I have learnt in recent times especially from my masters course,it is how to interact with seniors,both in terms of age and rank, on an informal platform. While I may be chatty and conversant with friends I know, it is inevitable that one gets shy in the face of strangers. Even graduating from a communications school does not teach you the way of socializing in the real world. So it is really good hands-on practice to get to meet people from different strata of society, to strike conversations, to share views and to be able to hold your own. Etiquette-wise,it is also important to observe certain dos and donts.
While I am tempted to say that personality plays a big part (as it comes quite naturally for some people),I believe confidence can be built up and socializing skills can be nurtured under the right environment. To let your personality shine through,it is often about first getting past your own innate awkwardness and fears. The learning curve is still steep for me because I am not accustomed to it all yet. I am not leaping past my own generation but I always appreciate each occasion that I have to see the world for what it is other than how I know it to be.